Thursday, May 14, 2009

Beauty on a Budget

Hello everybody and welcome to the first installment of my blog. As some of you might know I have always been passionate about all things beauty no matter the cost, well I've got news for you it's 2009 and the "Recessionista" has arrived. At the age of 12 I was introduced to fashion magazines due to the fact that my mom always brought them home from work. Needless to say I instantly fell in love with all of the ads for beauty products, I just knew that when I grew up I was going to wear makeup. Fast forward to my trip to Atlanta at age 19, this was my first introduction into the wonderful world if M.A.C cosmetics. Like a little baby I was instanly attracted to the assortment of skittle colored eye shadows and pretty pink lip glosses. For 8 years I had a monogamous with M.A.C and often got rave reviews after i "beat" my face to a pulp. I was convinced that by using this particular product I would always get a flawless finish without fail, like most relationships I would soon realize that the fire dosn't always burn. Soon after I moved into my first apartment and began to experience real adult responsibilities such as rent, light, gas,cable,food,furniture purchasing $ 28 foundation and $14 lipgloss seemed sinful.I was determined to recreate my M.A.C looks for a fraction of the cost, so off to my local Duane Reade. My first purchase was a lip gloss and eye shadow (so far can you tell that I love these 2 combos?), immidiately the makeup Gods answered my prayer..I LOVED IT. The smell, texture and pigment were of great quality and I spent less than $8, do the math people, thats less than half the price of some lip glosses at dare i say it "overrated" M.A.C. Now please let me make things clear, I am in no way saying that M.A.C makes substandard products, nor am I saying that I have stopped wearing the products, what I am saying is there are plenty of great products that give you a great look so long as you've got a good face( LOL). The moral of the story is this, I am a strong beliver of "diversifying your makeup portfolio"(damn Im funny), dont be afraid to wear a mix of high and low end products..start of with that expensive foundation if you like and top it off with a fabulous $4 lipstick/gloss, i do it all the time and love it. Trust me a true Diva can rock it as if she's just stepped out of a M.U.A(make up artist) chair, it's all about perception. If you've already established a reputation as a high end chick the average untrained eye will not know the difference between Nars or Maybelline, just remeber be tasteful and take time to learn good application technique. While I am no professional M.U.A and have no aspirations to be one, I must say "playing" in make up is truly fun and even relaxing to me. In the near future I will be posting vlogs on You tube under the name Browngirlbeauty. I will be discussing any and everything in regards to fashion, beauty, music and pure 'ol pop culture jargon. I will hope that you watch, learn and laugh once you see it, until then I thank each and every one of you for stopping by my blog.

Sincerly,

B.G.B

No comments:

Post a Comment